Saturday, April 16, 2011

Part 21: Ronneburg Schloss

We went to see this medieval castle which sits atop a hill of basalt. This is my favorite castle and we found it on my birthday. Once, I got a Chinese fortune that read “You will inherit a European Castle”… I’m pretty sure this is the one!

The name implies - a hill fort built of "Ronen" or tree trunks. It was built around the 13th century over the foundation of an older fort.

I read that the tower has 143 steps. I’m not sure whether the person on the web miscounted (there is another set of stair leading to the very top) or whether I mixed my notes up with the next tower. While towers can blend together after awhile, I climbed this tower a few times and counted more than once.
[Click the image below to enlarge captions if desired.]

______________________
Most people are afraid of fortune cookies. Admit it, I am Fearless.

3 comments:

Aubergine said...

Wow! That's incredible that you have been to so many castles. The view from the window is neat and the castle built so long ago!

A.Skidgy said...

Beeyouteeful!!!

Anonymous said...

Those steps look really steep!