Monday, October 20, 2008

Part 6: August 1990

Decided more training was needed. My first remedial training session out and about amongst the locals took place on the grand staircase of the Wurzburg Residenz. Accompanying me was my trusty side-kick New Mexico Man; he was also my photographer. As side kicks tend to stick close, he rarely was far enough from said side to get a good shot of my climbs.
Historical Excerpt: The staircase of the Würzburg Residenz's vault spans an area of 18x30 meters, without being pillared; a masterpiece of construction with a maximum height of 23 meters. Court architect Balthasar Neumann had to fight concerns, concerning the dangers of such an enormous Vault. The vault is adorned with a fresco by Venetian painter Giovanni Battista Tiepolo.




August 18, 1990:
“The chapel was closed for a wedding. We went in a side door and climbed up a 2 story metal spiral staircase to the balcony of the Wurzburg Residenz Chapel. There was
an open door and a man motioned us in. We lucked out.”






________________________________
Most people are scared of New Mexico Man and narrow spiral staircases. Admit it, I am FEARLESS.

2 comments:

Amber said...

What a beautiful staircase! I've heard of the feats of New Mexico man. I heard he once ate 43 blazing hot New Mexico chilis in the blink of an eye.

Tara said...

That Chapel is beautiful! Europe is so lucky to have such awesome architechture!